Sunday, November 7, 2010

"Beautiful & Cruel" and "Trip in a Summer Dress"




I was not sure about the poem that Sandra Cisneros wrote. It is just a strange way for her to say such thing like that. I checked her poem on internet. There are analyze and summary relating to this poem. This poem related to Esperanza, who thought she is an ugly girl. Esperanza stated, “I have decided not to tame like the others who lay their necks on the threshold waiting for the ball and chain”. It is exactly same remarks that Sandra wrote in the short poem. Overall, it applies to Esperanza. Only if Sandra added more information about Esperanza then I would understand the poem better. I understood where Esperanza came from. She came from the family who has high expectation fo her, that she reject against it. She is independence, and has a mind of her own. The short poem also based all about gender politics. Esperanza felt that she is ugly in the family, but she is very powerful woman that refuse to give the beauty away. Meanwhile, Esperanza does not care if any man doesn’t come for her to take her away. I think Esperanza prefers to be independence and proves that she is a strong woman. Esperanza felt that lot of women who are beautiful and are cruel at the same time. Obviously, Esperanza is an ugly girl, but has amazing personality within her. I wish men could have gets to know her first before the looks becasuse sometime personality just makes you look beautiful. Shame on those men who missed their chance.


I didn't like the story of “Trip in a Summer Dress.” because the mother's character, I do nott like the mother! She has no right to make the decision for that girl. This girl wanted to raise her son, Matthew in her own . If I was she, I will make sure I live far away from her and I would force her to take me to hospital where they would relieve my pains from child birthing. Contraction is so painful that lot of women have to suffer through. Why can’t this girl just tell her mother off, and just tell her son, Matthew that she is his mother? It is better to do now than too late. Her son will not forgive her for leaving him. Leaving a child behind with grandmother without a good reason is going to effect his point of view on family. I am aware that this girl’s mother is controlling and angry with her for getting pregnant at early age but it does not make it okay for the mother to take controll with her own children. Like I have a friend who was pregant at early age and her mother was there for her anyways when she knew her daughter could have a better life but she also knew she cannot take the time back. She has to focus on what will be better for them in the future. When I read this story, I can’t even imagine leaving my children to be with my mother. My mother is a great mother for my children but i've always wanted to be a mother and I will make sure I can do anything to make the best for them. I would want to have my children around me everyday and I want it to be me to take care of them, have them to call me mommy. You will wake up everyday and know that your children is looking forward to spend the day with you. I pity the girl who has to deal with her mother, I cannot imaging my life like that. I hope someday when she's older and wiser. She will have some peace feelings with her own decsion for herself and children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment